FREE. AudioBook : Starlight Detectives: How Astronomers, Inventors, and Eccentrics Discovered the Modern Universe. Download
Author of this audiobook is Alan Hirshfeld. Publisher is Audible Studios. This audio book is Narrated by Joe Barrett. This was released on 05-DEC-14. Duration of this Audio Book is 13 hour 4 minutes . This is unabridged.
More Details Download Audio Book Share on : Facebook Twitter Bookmark & Share
Summary : In 1929, Edwin Hubble announced the greatest discovery in the history of astronomy since Galileo first turned a telescope to the heavens. The galaxies, previously believed to float serenely in the void, are in fact hurtling apart at an incredible speed: the universe is expanding. This stunning discovery was the culmination of a decades-long arc of scientific and technical advancement. In its shadow lies an untold, yet equally fascinating, backstory whose cast of characters illuminates the gritty, hard-won nature of scientific progress. The path to a broader mode of cosmic observation was blazed by a cadre of 19th-century amateur astronomers and inventors, galvanized by the advent of photography, spectral analysis, and innovative technology to create the entirely new field of astrophysics. From William Bond, who turned his home into a functional observatory, to John and Henry Draper, a father and son team who were trailblazers of astrophotography and spectroscopy, to geniuses of invention such as Lon Foucault and George Hale, who founded the Mount Wilson Observatory, Hirshfeld reveals the incredible stories and the ambitious dreamers behind the birth of modern astronomy. Read more Asin : B00QMPDP8Q
1) The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science (Unabridged)
13 hour 20 minutes
2) The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence (Unabridged)
10 hours 9 minutes .
3) The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality (Unabridged)
10 hours 6 minutes .
4) Once Before Time: A Whole Story of the Universe (Unabridged)
12 hours 23 minutes .
5) The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos (Unabridged)
13 hours 49 minutes .
6) The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations behind the 2012 Prophecies (Unabridged)
19 hours 26 minutes .
7) Seeing in the Dark: How Backyard Stargazers Are Guarding Earth from Interplanetary Peril (Unabridged)
11 hours 34 minutes .
8) The Day We Found the Universe (Unabridged)
10 hours 35 minutes .
9) Confessions of an Alien Hunter: A Scientists Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (Unabridged)
10 hours 22 minutes .
10) How It Ends: From You to the Universe (Unabridged)
10 hours 28 minutes .
11) Secret Lives of Stars: Scientific American Special Edition
2 hours 14 minutes .
12) Nasa Voyager Space Sounds (Complete) (Unabridged)
5 hour 13 minutes
13) Life Beyond Earth
1 hour 6 minutes .
14) Origins of the Universe (Unabridged)
2 hours 38 minutes .
15) How the Universe Got Its Spots: Diary of a Finite Time in a Finite Space (Unabridged)
7 hours 22 minutes .
16) The History of Astronomy: A Very Short Introduction (Unabridged)
3 hours 46 minutes .
17) Stephen W. Hawkings Life Works: The Cambridge Lectures
Stephen W. Hawking (Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, Cambridge University)
3 hours 55 minutes .
18) Horizons of Cosmology: Exploring Worlds Seen and Unseen (Unabridged)
7 hours 5 minutes .
19) How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming (Unabridged)
7 hours 48 minutes .
20) The Magic of the Moon (Unabridged)
21) The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos is Designed for Discovery (Unabridged)
Guillermo Gonzalez, Jay Richards
12 hours 23 minutes .
22) The Unobservable Universe: A Paradox-Free Framework for Understanding the Universe (Unabridged)
Scott M. Tyson
14 hours 14 minutes .
23) Life in the Universe: Bolinda Beginner Guides
7 hours 13 minutes .
24) How It Began: A Time-Travelers Guide to the Universe (Unabridged)
12 hours 40 minutes .
25) Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens (Unabridged)
8 hours 12 minutes .
26) Trailblazing Mars: NASAs Next Giant Leap (Unabridged)
7 hours 23 minutes .
27) The Logic of Microspace: Technology and Management of Minimum-Cost Space Missions (Unabridged)
21 hours 6 minutes .
28) All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge (Unabridged)
5 hours 48 minutes .
30) How Old Is the Universe? (Unabridged)
David A. Weintraub
10 hour 37 minutes
31) Near-Earth Objects: Finding Them Before They Find Us (Unabridged)
Donald K. Yeomans
4 hours 21 minutes .
32) The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World (Unabridged)
10 hours and 45 minutes .
33) The Case of the Missing Moon Rocks (Unabridged)
1 hour and 5 minutes .
34) Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration (Unabridged)
4 hour 49 minutes
35) Edge of the Universe: A Voyage to the Cosmic Horizon and Beyond (Unabridged)
9 hour 19 minutes
36) How It Began: A Time-Travelers Guide to the Universe (Unabridged)
13 hour 4 minutes
37) The Modern Scholar: Lore of the Stars: The Mythological Narrative of the Night Sky
Professor Timothy B. Shutt
4 hours and 19 minutes .
38) The Accidental Universe: The World You Thought You Knew (Unabridged)
3 hours and 51 minutes .
39) Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System (Unabridged)
6 hours and 38 minutes .
40) Kak ustroena Vselennaja: [All that you want to know about the Universe] (Unabridged)
1 hour and 16 minutes .
41) Lucky Planet: Why Earth Is Exceptional - and What That Means for Life in the Universe (Unabridged)
8 hours and 51 minutes .
42) The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light (Unabridged)
10 hours and 16 minutes .
43) The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries
The Great Courses, Neil deGrasse Tyson
3 hour 3 minutes
44) Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution (Unabridged)
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Donald Goldsmith
8 hours and 39 minutes .
45) The Star of Bethlehem (Unabridged)
2 hours and 37 minutes .
46) Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?: .... and Other Questions from the Astronomers In-box at the Vatican Observatory (Unabridged)
Guy Consolmagno, Paul Mueller
9 hour 34 minutes
47) Curiosidades (Unabridged)
25 minutes .
48) Thirteen: The Apollo Flight That Failed (Unabridged)
5 hours and 2 minutes .
49) El silencio de Galileo [The Silence of Galileo] (Unabridged)
Luis López Nieves
11 hours and 34 minutes .
50) The Interstellar Age: Inside the Forty-Year Voyager Mission (Unabridged)
7 hours and 44 minutes .
Link : HTML :