AudioBook : Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work. Download
Author of this audiobook is Matthew B. Crawford. Publisher is Brilliance Audio. This audio book is Narrated by Max Bloomquist. This was released on 26-MAY-2009. Duration of this Audio Book is 6 hours 42 minutes .. This is unabridged. Rating : 3.69/5 ;
More Details Download Audio Book Share on : Facebook Twitter Bookmark & Share
Summary : Shop Class as Soulcraft brings alive an experience that was once quite common but now seems to be receding from society - the experience of making and fixing things with our hands. Those of us who sit in an office often feel a lack of connection to the material world, a sense of loss, and find it difficult to say exactly what we do all day. For those who felt hustled off to college, then to the cubicle, against their own inclinations and natural bents, Shop Class as Soulcraft seeks to restore the honor of the manual trades as a life worth choosing.On both economic and psychological grounds, Crawford questions the educational imperative of turning everyone into a "knowledge worker", based on a misguided separation of thinking from doing, the work of the hand from that of the mind. Crawford shows us how such a partition, which began a century ago with the assembly line, degrades work for those on both sides of the divide. But Crawford offers good news as well: The manual trades are very different from the assembly line and from dumbed-down white collar work as well. They require careful thinking and are punctuated by moments of genuine pleasure. Based on his own experience as an electrician and mechanic, Crawford makes a case for the intrinsic satisfactions and cognitive challenges of manual work. The work of builders and mechanics is secure; it cannot be outsourced, and it cannot be made obsolete. Such work ties us to the local communities in which we live and instills the pride that comes from doing work that is genuinely useful. A wholly original debut, Shop Class as Soulcraft offers a passionate call for self-reliance and a moving reflection on how we can live concretely in an ever more abstract world. Read more Keywords : DavidChasey Asin : B002V5GMEA
1) The Making of a Name (Unabridged)
Steve Rivkin, Fraser Sutherland
11 hours 45 minutes .
2) Ludwig Von Mises: Fountainhead of the Modern Microeconomics Revolution (Unabridged)
10 hours 14 minutes .
3) The Best of HBR: Motivating Employees (January 2003)
2 hours 51 minutes .
4) Change or Go: How to Stop Non-Team Player Behavior at Work
Arron Parnell Grow
1 hour 10 minutes .
5) Rich Dads Advisors: The ABCs of Property Management: What You Need to Know to Maximize Your Money Now
3 hours 1 minutes .
6) Owning Up: The 14 Questions Every Board Member Needs to Ask (Unabridged)
5 hours 12 minutes .
8) The Anywhere Leader: How to Lead and Succeed in Any Business Environment (Unabridged)
6 hours 41 minutes .
10) How to Persuade and Influence People: Powerful Techniques to Get Your Own Way More Often (Unabridged)
9 hours and 54 minutes .
11) Fix Your Credit AudioLearn: 101 Powerful Tips for Legally Improving Your Credit Score! (Unabridged)
2 hours and 25 minutes .
12) Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into A Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com (Unabridged)
Aaron Ross, Marylou Tyler
5 hour 7 minutes
13) REPLY ALL...and Other Ways to Tank Your Career (Unabridged)
5 hour 30 minutes
14) Vom Marketing zum Dialog
1 hour 42 minutes
15) The Ten Golden Rules of Leadership: Classical Wisdom for Modern Leaders (Unabridged)
M.A. Soupios, Panos Mourdoukoutas
2 hours and 43 minutes .
Link : HTML :